Friday, November 12, 2010

Novem-Beard Interview!!!

My name is Nathan Edwards and I live in a small town in the woods of Maine. I named my shop Moonsky Woodworks because of my now 4 year old daughter. One day back when she was learning to speak, pointed up to the sky and said "moonsky" It became her favorite word to say and it was what instantly came to mind when my wife and I tried to come up with a name for the shop. I am obviously a woodworker but what I like to concentrate on is turning small vessels, pens and other small objects. I am also a burl junkie! To me, the figure of the wood is as important as the shape of the object I turn. I usually let the wood tell me what it should become rather than start with an idea set in stone. This is unfortunately only my weekend "job".




How did you learn about EPE?

My wife Anna from NobleGnome Jewelry had just joined the team and I wanted to join her in raising money for a cure. We both do quite a bit of contributing outside the shop and it feels good to add pieces where part of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.





What is your favorite item in your shop?
You had to ask! I really don't know if I have a favorite piece but I have been working with Elm wood lately from the oldest Elm tree in Maine that recently had to be cut down. I love that it has a history! It has turned into some remarkable hollow vessels that I am not sure I want to part with yet.



Curly Maple Painted Fruit Bowl




What is your most prized possession?

That's easy. My lathe! My wife gave it to me as a gift and it has yet to stop giving me joy and a way to escape from the daily grind. When I'm at my lathe it doesn't matter if I fail to find the shape or form I wanted. I still find something interesting in the wood. Even if it comes off the lathe and hits me in the head. It has happened enough times that it should have knocked some sense into me!

Is there anything that you collect?

I really don't collect a particular item but have lately started to find old tools, mainly hand tools, fix them up and then use them in my shop. There is something special about using simpler tools rather than power tools all the time.


What would you like to be doing ten years from now?
Holy cow, 10 years down the road! I can't think a week ahead! I am forever striving to be a better father and husband. As I work on being the best man I can be for my family I find that my work in the shop also improves.

The photos I have attached are of the kids helping me paint some of my bowl blanks for the drying process and one of my work area. Child labor rocks!!





Thank you so much Nate!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan! I've admired your work since I first saw it and have enjoyed every word of your fabulous interview! Thank you for sharing your world and your work with all of us!

    And thank you Erica, for yet another wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to meet you, Nathan! I can understand why you enjoy working with wood. It's alive! And you have certainly discovered many of its mysterious qualities. Keep the lathe turning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to meet you Nathan! I love your work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, just beautiful, Nathan. I admire your art, and it is so nice to meet you. Thank you for sharing you with us. Another good one, Erica. Thanks for keeping Novem-beard going!!
    Hugs to all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your creations and thanks for sharing a little of your process. Those kids come in handy sometimes....names of shops and little helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an enjoyable and inspiring interview! Love your work and have for some time... nice to see it here and learn more about you. Nice feature Mazzy Erica!

    ReplyDelete