Monday, March 8, 2010

Hummingbird Soul

21 grams.

The weight of a hummingbird.

According to one scientist it is also the weight of the soul.

I thought of this when my Father passed away last Friday morning from complications due to his prostate cancer. My Father was a retired Marine Colonel and when I thought of him, I always pictured eagles soaring through lofty heights and majestic mountains. I never thought of the hummingbird, so fragile and small, wings beating a trillion times a minute. But the other morning I reached across the boundary of physical resemblance and thought about the symbolism of this tiny little bird and that if it rested on my hand I would barely even feel it. The hummingbird, so light and small, travels tens of thousands of miles in it's lifetime in migration patterns, moving from one place to the next, gathering energy and little nectar molecules from flowers everywhere and then redistributing them far and wide. My Father did that. He had an amazing and expansive life and it touched a vast array of people all over this big wide world.

We do that.

This is what Etsy Project Embrace Team is all about, reaching out to everyone who has been touched by cancer, into every corner of this planet. We are a REAL Team made up of beautiful individuals who are not focused on self serving motives and congratulatory fluff. The word "I" doesn't come into my thought patterns when thinking of Project Embrace, rather, it's the word "WE".

We move fast and we move strong when one of our members is in distress or has a family member or friend who needs our help. We do this by turning in, to our private reserves of strength and courage, love and serenity, and then sending them out to those in need through whatever means works for us as individuals: prayer, meditation, blessings, positive energy vibes, uplifting thought patterns. Cancer is a horrendous disease and it is spreading. Theories abound on why this is and what the causes could be, whether environmental toxins, chemicals in foods, genetics, a combination of any, all, none of these. It's a bit overwhelming and can be very negative so I turn instead to the positive side of the coin, the "Life-Full" side.

Like the little hummingbird, rapidly moving from here to there, across all the miles, WE, Team Etsy Project Embrace, move in unison with a common goal of Service and Hope . We nourish and bring light to those with cancer, like Laura and Cait, who stared it right in the eyes, moved through the fear and darkness, and came out the other side cancer FREE, and We Rejoice in this. We comfort and cherish those those who have family and friends struggling with this disease, and those who are left behind when someone passes to go on their next journey, like my Father, and We Celebrate the Triumphs of that person, living or deceased. New advances are being made every day in the fight against cancer and We Support and Revel in this. We do ALL of these things by reaching into the soul of who each of us is, gathering up our immense amounts of Hope, Compassion, Strength, Courage and Love and spreading them wide and unobstructed to all in need.

And that is what this is ultimately all about. The rest falls away, lightly, softly and gracefully, like the beating of hummingbird's wings across the Universe.

My love and gratitude to ALL of you for these gifts you have given me.....
And an especially huge Thank You to Kim for all the hard work you put forth to create this incredible Blog!
WE, of Etsy Project Embrace, are on a great and wondrous, hopeful, beautiful and loving journey together......{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}.....
xoxo
Kristin

32 comments:

  1. Kristin ... I am at a loss for words. Your words are so moving and very beautiful .... not to mention powerful.

    Lots of love and a big hug to you ...
    XO
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristin for starting off with such an amazingly beautiful piece.
    I can only begin to imagine how you're feeling at the moment, and just hope you to know how much this means to all of us....
    This blog is already so lovely, and I can tell that it's going to offer so much to all of us, making etsyprojectembrace even more wonderful!
    Love & hugs to you Kristin, & thanks for this!
    Sam Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, what a beautiful sentiment. There is not a person anywhere that is not touched in some way by this horrible disease. But through each other, we all will get through. Because even through the internet, words are like a hug to someone who, in turn, can hug another, and so on. I'm sending you my (((HUG))) this day.
    XOXO
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an achingly beautiful tribute to your father, Kristin - I am moved to tears.
    May the warm cloak of your friends at EPE suround and comfort you at this time.
    xoxo Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully stated, Kristin. Joe and I believe this post of yours should be the Mission Statement for Etsy Project Embrace from now on. And the hummingbird should become our symbol.
    Thank you!
    Love, Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, you handle loss with great dignity and grace. Your words are powerful; your dad would be very proud... Suz

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautifully written. Amazing team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A touching and beautiful and powerful posting, Kristin ...and it has started some beautiful and touching responses; you, and your father's passing, touch all of our hearts. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an absolutely fabulous post. Thank you so much for sharing yourself in such difficult times. Much love and many hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soaring words... up from your heart and soul into the air and on wing and wind to fly to the heavens and beyond... touching lives and minds and beings, including that of your wonderful father. You've brought me to tears, Kristin, in your lovely tribute and in this description of the power of this team, working together as one. I agree with Mollie and Joe... your hummingbird with its tiny body and beating wings, should be our symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful tribute to your father and to the support of this team. I agree with previous posts that the hummingbird should be our team symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What incredible and moving words, Kristin. I love the thought of having a hummingbird as our team symbol.

    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs and love right back to you and the rest of this wonderful team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so beautifully expressed kristen-- thank you for leaving such an inspiring post for all of us.

    we are lucky to have such a wonderful group-- and i know each and every person on this team has been sending their love and support to you and for you ... i send along mine too. i sure do wish i could give you a real life hug instead of this ether hug..

    XOXO

    kathi

    ReplyDelete
  16. i don't even know what to say after reading that........... you are an amazing girl and WE are an amazing team, so supportive of each other. I just loved what you wrote, thank you. (Thumbs up on the hummingbird from me.) laura xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know of nothing else to do but offer you the warmest of embraces. Thank you, Kristin, for your beautiful words and kind spirit. You have been in my thoughts and the subject of my prayers.

    *squeeze*
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin, this sums up beautifully who EPE is and why we exist. Thank you for explaining it in such an eloquent way. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Kristin. I wish I could give you a hug in person. What a beautiful post and tribute to your dad. You've been in my thoughts a lot lately. Take care. ((((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  20. (((( Kristin)))))I'm so sorry for your loss, this is beautifully written, much love and peace to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, moving and powerful words, Kristin, and such a wonderful tribute. And I love the way you describe the hummingbird as such a fitting symbol for this amazing team.

    You're in my thoughts and prayers :)
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kristin, I am so moved by your words and so, so sorry for your loss. Cancer is horribly evil and takes from us those we love. The hummingbird is a lovely symbol. Know that we treasure you, (((Kristin))).
    Love, Cait

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful words. All my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such lovely thoughts, Kristin! Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post Kristin; you have an amazing spirit! So sorry for your loss; my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kristin, what a wonderful tribute! You have so much support from our team, as you know. The hummingbird represents the strength and resiliancy of us, and is the perfect symbol...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kristin, I'm truly humbled by your incredible spirit, grace, and generosity. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Big fat hugs and cookies,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am sorry for the loss of your dear Father, Kristin. Your words are the spring of hope that is at the heart of this team. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. I am sending love in big bundles...
    Linn

    ReplyDelete
  29. This touch my heart...may the positive energy be with you all the time. Here is me adding my HUG. Love, Gwen.

    ReplyDelete
  30. so much love and gratitude for all the amazing energy that you put out into the world. thank you for sharing all of this; such an inspiring post. my thoughts and prayers are with you and with your father as he wings his flight in the realms beyond (and around and within). big hug to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kristin- I am so sorry to hear of your loss. And while you are grieving, you still have the presence of mind and generosity of heart to share this post with all of us! You are beautiful! I am honored to know you and honored to be a part of this community.
    xoxo Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kristin! Much Love to You from all my Heart! Aija xoxo

    ReplyDelete